[Show all top banners]

Tyo Din
Replies to this thread:

More by Tyo Din
What people are reading
:: Subscribe
Back to: Kurakani General Refresh page to view new replies
 Divorce and ancestral property in Nepal
SAVE! for ease of future access.
Posted on 08-20-21 12:11 PM     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     1       ?     Liked by

I think this topic has been discussed in Sajha several times but I think my friend case is little different.

He is a US citizen and his wife is a PR. They have a US born kid(about 6 year old) . He had some ancestral property in Nepal which has not been divided between his father's sibling.

What will happen to property of Nepal if he gets divorced in US? Did they have to do anything in Nepal? I'm sure that his property in US will be divided.

Please share your experience and knowledge.
Posted on 08-20-21 12:52 PM     [Snapshot: 38]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     1       ?     Liked by

I think US citizen cannot have property in Nepal legally so probably wont have to give anything. Hope so.
Posted on 08-20-21 1:30 PM     [Snapshot: 58]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     1       ?     Liked by

बिदेसी नागरिक भएर्को १८० दिन पछि कानुनी रुपमा नेपालमा कुनै अचल सम्पति राख्न पायिन्न ( एसका केहि अपबाद छन्) , उसको श्रीमतीले जता divorce गरे पनि तपाईको भागमा पर्न आउने सम्पति माथि उसको दाबी पर्छ । श्रीमती बिदेशी नागरिक भए चै के हुन्छ थाहा भएन तर PR मात्र भए चै श्रीमती जी लाई खुदो पल्टियो । महिलाको हकमा नेपली कानुन ज्यादै उदार छ।
Posted on 08-20-21 1:38 PM     [Snapshot: 70]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     1       ?     Liked by

As an US citizen, your friend does not have any right/claim to his ancestral property. Since he does not have any ancestral property (on legal basis), his wife cannot claim it.
Last edited: 20-Aug-21 01:41 PM

Posted on 08-20-21 5:37 PM     [Snapshot: 156]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     1       ?     Liked by

As far as my knowledge, once you are US citizen you cannot have property in Nepal since you become foreign citizen.
Posted on 08-20-21 7:16 PM     [Snapshot: 204]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     1       ?     Liked by

Here is a tiktok video by a lawyer on the topic. 

Last edited: 20-Aug-21 07:17 PM

Posted on 08-20-21 7:24 PM     [Snapshot: 216]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     1       ?     Liked by

@Tyo din.... Your question is like, I am a man, how can I get pregnant? The answer is you cannot get pregnant. To get pregnant you must be a woman!
Posted on 08-21-21 7:01 PM     [Snapshot: 418]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     1       ?     Liked by

Ur friend can apply nrn card which allows him to keep properties up to 2 ropenis of land in ktm etc.. https://nrna.org/faq/

Its imp to realize that Foregin citizens who were Nepali citizen before have special privilege of nrn card. 
Divorce and ancestral property can be tricky as well , best to consult with a lawyer but I think the following things play imp rule;
1. Ansha bands if already done before or not
2. How long married and if marriage was registered in Nepal or not

  1. Can NRN inherit property from their parents/relatives?
  • Yes as per provisions stated in the NRNA Bylaws 2066, their right to inheritance as per Nepali law is allowed. The new civil code of Nepal allows the holders of NRN Citizenship the right to inherit own and maintain property at par with 
 edited: 21-Aug-21 07:49 PM
Last edited: 21-Aug-21 07:51 PM

Posted on 08-28-21 12:49 PM     [Snapshot: 862]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

I agree with ehho2. Tyo Din, I think your friend case is not straight forward, he need to contact with lawyer for anything related to his ancestral property. According to law in Nepal, he owes his wife the property after the division(ansha banda). If your friend do not want any property from his parents in Nepal and it had been mentioned in Ansha banda(before the divorce) , then it is different story.

In short, there may be different hidden angles in this case, so I would suggest your friend to consult the lawyer.

Please Log in! to be able to reply! If you don't have a login, please register here.



Within last 365 days
Recommended Popular Threads Controvertial Threads
Lets play Antakshari...........
शीर्षक जे पनि हुन सक्छ।
NRN card pros and cons?
TPS Re-registration case still pending ..
What are your first memories of when Nepal Television Began?
TPS Re-registration
Anybody gotten the TPS EAD extension alert notice (i797) thing? online or via post?
Democrats are so sure Trump will win
is Rato Bangala school cheating?
Basnet or Basnyat ??
TPS EAD auto extended to June 2025 or just TPS?
nrn citizenship
Sajha has turned into MAGATs nest
Nas and The Bokas: Coming to a Night Club near you
डलराँ कमाएर ने .रु मा उडांउदा !@#
whats wrong living with your parents ?
ChatSansar.com Naya Nepal Chat
डीभी परेन भने खुसि हुनु होस् ! अमेरिकामाधेरै का श्रीमती अर्कैसँग पोइला गएका छन् !
3 most corrupt politicians in the world
भर्खरै मात्र नम्रता श्रेष्ठले सारूक ताम्राकारका बारे आफ्नो मुख खोले
Nas and The Bokas: Coming to a Night Club near you
Mr. Dipak Gyawali-ji Talk is Cheap. US sends $ 200 million to Nepal every year.
Harvard Nepali Students Association Blame Israel for hamas terrorist attacks
TPS Update : Jajarkot earthquake
is Rato Bangala school cheating?
NOTE: The opinions here represent the opinions of the individual posters, and not of Sajha.com. It is not possible for sajha.com to monitor all the postings, since sajha.com merely seeks to provide a cyber location for discussing ideas and concerns related to Nepal and the Nepalis. Please send an email to admin@sajha.com using a valid email address if you want any posting to be considered for deletion. Your request will be handled on a one to one basis. Sajha.com is a service please don't abuse it. - Thanks.

Sajha.com Privacy Policy

Like us in Facebook!

↑ Back to Top
free counters