[Show all top banners]

Replies to this thread:

More by jacksparrow
What people are reading
:: Subscribe
Back to: Travel Refresh page to view new replies
 Travel Via Hongkong on expired US student visa !!!
SAVE! for ease of future access.
Posted on 02-22-10 12:59 PM     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

I am going to Nepal this summer via Hongkong and I am a full time student with expired F1 visa. Will there be any issue because of my expired US visa at Hongkong? I am not planning on getting out of airport. Has anyone traveled to Nepal in these circumstances? Please let me know. 

By the way I did Google for airport advisory and related stuffs but could not get the concrete answer. If you guys know the link to the place that has answer to my question, I would really appreciate it as well. Thank you.


Posted on 02-22-10 1:02 PM     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

If I were you, I would get the HK visa before leaving.
Posted on 02-22-10 2:26 PM     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

Come on people !!! Please help !!!
Posted on 02-22-10 2:47 PM     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

i dont think they will let you get out of the airport. HK is  pretty strict regarding that.
and i also think you need to get  visa for your transit. in most of the cases the airlines/ travel agency get every thing done for their customers.
This is based on my past experience while travelling via HK . but its been 2 yrs now, things might have changed its better to talk to ur travel agency ppl.
i remember they told me as a Cathy pacific passenger i dint have to worry about the visa.

hope this helps.good luck.

Posted on 02-22-10 3:05 PM     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

Thank you abc_n_xyz. I did find more info regarding that. Ah this point I know that Nepalese with valid US visa dont need visa in HK. However, as in my case if I dont have valid visa I need to show cathay pacific the proof of residency in US. Now my next queri is what do Cathay and HK honor as proof of residency in US. I will have my I-20 and Driver's license during the flight but I need to find out what other document can I prepare to give to Cathay Pacific in advance so that my travel will be easy. 

By the way, thank you all the people for all those wonderful views (and no replies  ) and sincere thanks to abc_n_xyz again.


Posted on 02-22-10 3:14 PM     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

Again JackBro: Why don't you just get HK Visa and avoid any potential nightmare? My personal experience with Chinese folks is that when they are faced with an unfamiliar situation, only one English word comes out of them, which is NO. And that too, they utter with a lot of repetition. So all you may potentially hear from HK immigarion might sound like "NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO"...
Posted on 02-22-10 3:21 PM     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

Dear Jack , since you are flying to your home country and hold a valid passport , You will have no problem at HK transit , not at all.Chao.

Posted on 02-22-10 3:24 PM     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

Excerpt from Official Cathay Memo

Dear Sir/Madam: Please be advised that Hong Kong Immigration Department has announced the extension of the Airside Transit Without Visa arrangement to Nationals of Nepal provided that they are flying with CX and KA with connections in HKIA starting from the date Dragonair begins the services between Hong Kong and Kathmandu on 02 December 2007.     The transit requirements for the Nepalese are similar to that of Bangladeshis, Pakistanis and Sri Lankans.  Nepalese must hold valid visa or proof of residency of USA, the maximum transit time should be within 12 hours and the arrival passengers will be accompanied by airline staff throughout the transit period at Hong Kong International Airport. For further details, click here http://www.cxagentsusa.com/GeneralInformation/subdefault.asp?SectionID=9 On behalf of Cathay Pacific Airways, we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your continued support. Sincerely, Lisa R. Manning

Manager, Revenue Management Unit

Important update: Aug 8, 2008.

If you are staying on an expired visa or don’t have permanent residency, you may not be allowed to board a flight though Hong Kong.  Note, the transit visa clearly states that Nepalese must be holding a valid visa or proof of residency(We have highlighted this section in green in the official memo for Cathay).  You can still travel via Hong Kong but you must make advance clearance through Cathay’s customer service.

Posted on 02-22-10 4:05 PM     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

newlynew bro, I dont want to start all the hassles to get all documents required to apply for visa and stuff like that....and the price I am getting via that route is just too good to let go...

thank you Garibkochhoro !!! :)

Posted on 02-22-10 4:08 PM     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

Plus I personally know people who did not require visa in HK to go to Nepal. I just created the thread coz my student visa is expired. The people I knew had valid US student Visa.


Posted on 02-23-10 11:14 AM     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

Anyone with the personal experience????


Posted on 02-23-10 11:23 AM     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

JackBro: If your visa is expired, don't do it.
Posted on 02-23-10 12:30 PM     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

if ur Nepali Passport is expired, u need to renew it . Expiration of US Visa doesn't matter at all....but if want to go outside of airport u need to have HK visa...enjoy the nepal trip

Posted on 02-23-10 1:46 PM     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

My pass port is not expired but as I found over the cathay pacific website they say we dont need transit Visa only if we have a valid visa or if we are able to show proof of residency. Since my visa is expired and me being Intl student I cant get proof of residency of US ( as per my intl student advisor). Its just freaking confusing. 


Posted on 02-23-10 2:02 PM     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

JackBro: Proof of residency means GC or Permanent Residency. It does not mean whether you live in the US.
Posted on 02-23-10 2:04 PM     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

Newlynew Bro, I have almost made up my mind to change my route. I definitely dont want to get stuck at the port of Departure in US or at HK airport. Thanx all for the time and input.


Posted on 02-23-10 2:10 PM     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

JackBro: Best of luck with your travel plans... Caution is the best strategy if you carry "the best" passport in the world.
Posted on 02-23-10 2:13 PM     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

Agreed :D



Please Log in! to be able to reply! If you don't have a login, please register here.



Within last 7 days
Recommended Popular Threads Controvertial Threads
ChatSansar.com Naya Nepal Chat
गर्लफ्रेन्डकि मम्मी संगको यौन सम्बन्ध 🙏🙏🙏
Husband cheated on me, now what?
Died Suddenly
This video banned by facebook and youtube
Rabi Lamichhane - a man without borders
आत्मदाहका घटनाहरू बडेपछि बोतल र जर्किनमा पेट्रोल बेचे प्रहरीले कारबाही गर्ने
Pfizer Exposed For Exploring "Mutating" COVID-19 Virus For New Vaccines Via Directed Evolution
NOTE: The opinions here represent the opinions of the individual posters, and not of Sajha.com. It is not possible for sajha.com to monitor all the postings, since sajha.com merely seeks to provide a cyber location for discussing ideas and concerns related to Nepal and the Nepalis. Please send an email to admin@sajha.com using a valid email address if you want any posting to be considered for deletion. Your request will be handled on a one to one basis. Sajha.com is a service please don't abuse it. - Thanks.

Sajha.com Privacy Policy

Like us in Facebook!

↑ Back to Top
free counters