US Returnee
Replies to this thread:

More by US Returnee
What people are reading
:: Subscribe
Back to: Kurakani General Refresh page to view new replies
 Birth Certificate for I-485
SAVE! for ease of future access.
Posted on 06-26-13 3:28 PM     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

My lawyer is asking for a "Birth Certificate" not just the letter from VDC or municipality. I had a letter mentioning that i was born there but my lawyer says that might now work and they should give me an official Birth Certificate just like Death Certificate from Nepal.

What can we do ?

I was born in a village and that VDC just gave me a letter saying i was born there with my parents name on it. Lawyer says he needs actual Certificate not the letter.

Also, my lawyer mentioned that it was not mandatory in Nepal to register birth at the time of birth but it can be done later and they can issue a certificate ?

Please help.

Last edited: 26-Jun-13 03:30 PM

Posted on 06-26-13 3:42 PM     [Snapshot: 27]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

What your lawyer said i true
Posted on 06-26-13 3:53 PM     [Snapshot: 36]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

Effective April 13, 1977 the Government of Nepal required birth certificates to be issued from the Local Registrar office for the first time in ten districts of Nepal. The districts covered are Banke, Jhapa, Kathmandu, Kanchanpur, Kapilbastu, Mahottari, Morang, Rautahat, Saptari, and Sarlahi. This requirement was later extended to other districts: Bara, Dhanusha, Parsa and Sunsari on January 15, 1979; Siraha on February 13, 1979; Nawalparasi and Rupandehi on March 14, 1979; Bardia, Chitwan, Kailali, Kavrepalanchwok, Kaski, Makwanpur and Palpa on April 14, 1979; Bhaktapur, Lalitpur and Surkhet on February 13, 1980; Dang on March 14, 1980; Dhanding, Nuwakot and Tanahu on December 15, 1980; Dhankuta and Ilam on January 14, 1981; Jumla on March 14, 1981; Gorkha on October 17, 1981; Sindhuli and Udayapur on December 16, 1981; Syangja on January 14, 1982; Sindhupalchowk on February 12, 1982; Rasuwa on March 14, 1982; and eventually covering remaining districts Achham, Arghakhanchi, Baglung, Bajhang, Bajura, Baitadi Bhojpur, Dadeldhura, Dailekh, Darchula, Dolakha, Dolpa, Doti, Gulmi, Humla, Jajarkot, Kalikot, Khotang, Lamjung, Manang, Mugu, Mustang, Myagdi, Okhaldhunga, Panchthar, Parbat, Pyuthan, Ramechhap, Rolpa, Rukum, Salyan, Sankhuwasabha, Solukhumbu, Taplejung, and Terhathum on April 14, 1990. Births after the effective dates corresponding to the districts must be reported to the Local Registrar office in order to obtain a birth certificate. The certificate generally contains the parents' names, applicant's name, date and place of birth and the signature and stamp of the issuing official. The certificate is a printed form in which the birth information is handwritten. The birth evidence prior to these effective dates is usually documented by the VDC or a ward office of the locality by issuing a certification to that effect.

Posted on 06-26-13 4:00 PM     [Snapshot: 46]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

Your lawyer is wrong in this case. The Letter from VDC works. It worked for me, worked for my friends and their friends. So why it will not work for you. A letter from VDC saying you were born on given date with your parents mentioned should be more than sufficient. Make sure it is in VDC letter pad and stamp on it.
Posted on 06-26-13 4:16 PM     [Snapshot: 69]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

your lawyer is wrong. My I-485 just approved one weeks ago and  I have a birth certificate which was written by VDC, stamp. I submit the same to USCIS .No hassle. Good luck.
Posted on 06-26-13 6:56 PM     [Snapshot: 178]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

 hey rinzi, I used  municipality issued birth certificate of immigration purpose and USCIS accepted. 

Posted on 06-27-13 8:00 AM     [Snapshot: 347]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

 It depends upon your date of birth and your municipality/VDC. Us returnee has already outlined what weebsite states. USCIS will follow that guideline. You can print that out and provide to your lawer and mention your place of birth and can educate your lawwyer about birth certificate situation in nepal.
Posted on 06-27-13 8:30 AM     [Snapshot: 369]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

It looks like some places issue a certificate "Janmadarta ko pramanpatra" which is the official birth certificate, but i don't know why these municipalities or VDC's don't provide such certificate when asked for one.

They just write some letter mentioning what we say. it maybe that the birth is not registered there and they provide letter based on parents information or if you know anyone in that municipality.

But, is there a provison in nepal to register our birth now and get the official certificate ?

I know they provide official Marriage Certificate and Death certificate but why not Birth Certificate?  It's so annyoing.

Last edited: 27-Jun-13 08:30 AM


Please Log in! to be able to reply! If you don't have a login, please register here.



Within last 200 days
Recommended Popular Threads Controvertial Threads
TPS Re-registration case still pending ..
TPS Re-registration
What are your first memories of when Nepal Television Began?
निगुरो थाहा छ ?? Naya Nepal Chat
Basnet or Basnyat ??
Sajha has turned into MAGATs nest
NRN card pros and cons?
TPS EAD auto extended to June 2025 or just TPS?
Biden out, Trump next president, so what’s gonna happen to TPS, termination?
मन भित्र को पत्रै पत्र!
Will MAGA really start shooting people?
Anybody gotten the TPS EAD extension alert notice (i797) thing? online or via post?
Top 10 Anti-vaxxers Who Got Owned by COVID
TPS Work Permit/How long your took?
काेराेना सङ्क्रमणबाट बच्न Immunity बढाउन के के खाने ?How to increase immunity against COVID - 19?
Breathe in. Breathe out.
3 most corrupt politicians in the world
Dementia Joe has been selected to become the next President
TPS Renewal Reregistration
Nas and The Bokas: Coming to a Night Club near you
NOTE: The opinions here represent the opinions of the individual posters, and not of It is not possible for to monitor all the postings, since merely seeks to provide a cyber location for discussing ideas and concerns related to Nepal and the Nepalis. Please send an email to using a valid email address if you want any posting to be considered for deletion. Your request will be handled on a one to one basis. is a service please don't abuse it. - Thanks. Privacy Policy

Like us in Facebook!

↑ Back to Top
free counters