[Show all top banners]

Replies to this thread:

More by nepalitexan1
What people are reading
:: Subscribe
Back to: Kurakani General Refresh page to view new replies
 Any Immigration Lawyer?
SAVE! for ease of future access.
Posted on 05-15-10 6:13 PM     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

Dear Friends,

First of all, I would like to thank you all for providing me good information whenever I need. I am a recently  natuaralized US Citizen. I am a single and living in US now. I would like to bring my family to US  including my father,mother,grandmother, brothers and sisters. I don't know how to process the documentation for all my family. By the way, my parents had been to US to visit me a couple of months ago and they are in Nepal now. I even don't know if I need to hire American Immigration Lawyer or Nepalese Immigration Lawyer for processing.

Please give me the right suggestion so that I can get started with my paperwork. I am also expecting advice from those who have known any Immigration Lawyer or have prior experience related to this issue. I hope to hear from you, Guys!!!


Posted on 05-15-10 6:59 PM     [Snapshot: 28]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

I don't have any experience on this matter so I can't suggest you anything. However, I am jealous of you and am curious to know how you became a naturalized US citizen. Did you get it through work, marriage, asylum, DV, military(MAVNI) or ...? Good luck bringing your family here! Hopefully someone else will have suggestions for you.

Last edited: 15-May-10 08:03 PM

Posted on 05-15-10 7:57 PM     [Snapshot: 57]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

congratulations Nepalitexan1 ji, however i have few questions. yuou are a naturalized citizen of the usa, you must have gone through rigorous process to get to this point, i mean a dream and ultimate destination of most if not every immigrant in the USA is to become a naturalized citizen so why are you asking basic info to other immigrants who want to get to your position first. isn't is like a slc pass coming to a 3rd grade class and asking questions. from your name i assume that you live i texas if that is the case then you live in a state which is heavely populated with indians, pakis, and Nepalis too, when why ask such innocent question in sajha. just curious. Also, would you mind telling us how you got your green card in the first place maybe lot of us that benefit from that information more than anything else.


Posted on 05-17-10 12:45 PM     [Snapshot: 287]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

Nepali Texan: Once you become US citizens you can immediately apply for your parents and will take 6 + months. You need all those documents what ever you needed.

You do not need any immigration lawyer to file for your parents nor to file for I-485.

For your siblings; You have to file -I-485.

Here are some  info. If you know how to use internet, you better do some homework by yourself.

Definition of a Sibling

A sibling is a brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or adopted
brother or sister. For the necessary sibling relationship to exist,
each person must have been a child of at least one of the same parents.
The siblings need not share the same biological parents as long as both
became "children" at the appropriate time (before the age of 16 in
cases of adoption, and before the age of 18 for stepchildren).

of the Immigration Process

A legal immigrant (or "lawful permanent resident") is a foreign national
who has been granted the privilege of living and working permanently in
the United States. There is a three-step process for your brother or
sister to become a legal immigrant:

  1. The USCIS must approve an immigrant
    visa petition that you file for your brother or sister.
  2. The State Department visa bulletin must show that a sibling
    immigrant visa is available to your sibling, based on the date that you
    filed the immigrant visa application.
  3. If your brother or sister is outside the United States when an
    immigrant visa number becomes available, your brother or sister will be
    notified to go to the local U.S. consulate to complete the processing
    for an immigrant visa. If your sibling is legally inside the U.S. when
    an immigrant visa number becomes available, he or she may apply to
    adjust status to that of a lawful permanent resident using the Form

Depending on the relationship and the
country involved, the wait for an available sibling visa number may be
several years. You may refer to the Department
of State's Visa Bulletin
for current priority dates.

For an excellent overview of
immigration, please see the chapter and tables on immigrants in the Immigration
Statistical Yearbook
. For more information on immigrant visa
numbers, please see How Do I Get an
Immigrant Visa Number?

What Does
the Law Say?

The Immigration and Nationality Act is a law that governs the admission
of all immigrants to the United States. For the part of the law
concerning immigrant visas for siblings, please see INA § 203 and INA § 204. The
specific eligibility requirements and procedures for applying for
immigrant visas and permanent residence are included in the Code of
Federal Regulations [CFR] at 8 CFR § 204.1, 8
CFR § 204.2 and 8 CFR § 245

Who is
Eligible to Sponsor a Sibling?

If you are a U.S. citizen and at least 21 years old, you are
to petition to bring your brother or sister to live
and work permanently in the United States. If you are a lawful
permanent resident, you are not eligible to apply to
bring your brother or sister to live and work permanently in the United

How Do I
File the Visa Petition?

For more information on how to petition for your brother or sister to
live in the United States permanently, please see the Petitioning

How Can I
Check the Status of My Visa Petition?

To check the status of your visa petition, you will need to contact the
USCIS office that received it. Full instructions can be found at Finding the
Status of Your Case

Anyone Help Me?

If advice is needed, you may contact the USCIS District
near your home for a list of community-based, non-profit
organizations that may be able to help you in applying for an
immigration benefit. In addition, please see our web page that provides
information on obtaining free
legal advice

Asked Questions (FAQ's)

Do you want further information? Click here for access to our Frequently Asked Questions
on immigration.

for Your Alien Relative

For more information on adjusting to permanent resident status the alien
relative should refer to How Do I Become
a Lawful Permanent Resident While In the United States?

Last edited: 17-May-10 12:47 PM

Posted on 05-17-10 1:28 PM     [Snapshot: 331]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

- nepalitexan1 jee,

pshrestha78's question is logically valid. You, being a US citizen with the experience of those tedious processes you went through, are acting as if you just landed in US with a dv visa a week ago.

As far as I know you have to fill out the INS forms to apply for all your family members. I am 100 percent sure on this if you don't know what the first step is.

By the way, I am not lawyer but just a student in F1 status. And it seems that I know better that you.


Please Log in! to be able to reply! If you don't have a login, please register here.



Within last 7 days
Recommended Popular Threads Controvertial Threads
TPS Re-registration case still pending ..
Why Americans reverse park?
whats wrong living with your parents ?
NOTE: The opinions here represent the opinions of the individual posters, and not of Sajha.com. It is not possible for sajha.com to monitor all the postings, since sajha.com merely seeks to provide a cyber location for discussing ideas and concerns related to Nepal and the Nepalis. Please send an email to admin@sajha.com using a valid email address if you want any posting to be considered for deletion. Your request will be handled on a one to one basis. Sajha.com is a service please don't abuse it. - Thanks.

Sajha.com Privacy Policy

Like us in Facebook!

↑ Back to Top
free counters