I got my student visa renewed in July, 2015 in Kathmandu. I want to share how my experience was. I hope this information will help others like me.
Documents I prepared for visa interview:
1. Bachelor Tran along with my current semester GPA
4. Financial document
5. Relationship evidence
6. Scholarship letters
7. Extracurricular certificates/honors
8. Good Academic standing letter from program director
9. Visa letter from International adviser
10. Receipt of payment for visa interview
11. Visa interview appointment confirmation letter
12. Non immigrant Visa application confirmation (DS-160)
13. On campus employment letter
14. Enrolled classes printout
Please remember some of the documents I have listed is because I had already completed 2 semesters of my graduate program before I went for the visa renewal. I thought they would be helpful.
At the Visa interview, the only documents I was asked of were I-20, passport and academic trans. The interviewer did not look at any of the rest of my documents.
As of July, 2015
You need to pay Rs. 16800 for visa interview, Rs. 21000 as visa issuance fee if you get the visa.
Note: I almost paid the Sevis fee. But I did not have to since I was a continuing student. Say you are a continuing student when they ask if you paid sevis fee at the U.S. embassy. Also make sure and check the sevis website whether you have to pay the sevis fee or not.
1. Fill out DS-160 online in U.S. embassy website
DS-160 is online form which I am sure will remain in the database forever, so fill out the information correctly to save yourself from future headaches.
2. Pay the visa interview fee
3. Fix the interview date (It was two weeks waiting period to get the interview date as of July 2015)
4. Prepare documents
5. Go to visa interview. (They do not let you enter the embassy earlier than 30 min before your appointment time.)
I waited for about 3-4 hrs before I got interviewed.
I have tried to be detailed and concise with all the information. I hope this helps whoever needs it. Good Luck.
PS As of 2014, paper I-94 is not given to travelers who travel via air or sea. I-94 can be printed online free of cost.