[Show all top banners]

Replies to this thread:

More by F-1student
What people are reading
:: Subscribe
Back to: Immigration Refresh page to view new replies
 TPS| F1 student are Dump
SAVE! for ease of future access.
Posted on 07-02-15 10:13 PM     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

Hi! Everyone,

I have been reading most of the posting on different thread related to TPS. I am also a F1 student and going to be graduate in Spring 2016(non stem). I have read someone posted that student are not allowed to work more than 20 hours with TPS EAD. Let me tell you all that there are few colleges and universities that people are talking about  student  are working as a full time in CPT from first semester. They don't seem getting out of status still working full time throughout their graduate degree by taking full time courses . Then with TPS EAD, which is issued by USCIS  how can f1 student gets out of status even if the student are taking full time courses. This is really misconfusing information someone is distributing. So, guys I am going with TPS and try to help my family and relatives financially working while in college with TPS EAD. 
Let me know am I dumb or  those student who are thinking too much and debating just based on reading nonsense thread without thinking logically. USCIS is giving us some relief and now we are thinking too much like we are attorney. 
All the best guys. Study and work hard and help Nepal and your family.
Last edited: 02-Jul-15 10:32 PM
Last edited: 02-Jul-15 10:37 PM

Posted on 07-02-15 10:34 PM     [Snapshot: 36]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

Well you could talk to your advisor and get some information in that regard.
Last edited: 02-Jul-15 10:36 PM

Posted on 07-02-15 11:37 PM     [Snapshot: 102]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    


Few Things:

You can work on CPT either full-time or part-time.

On OPT While school is in session, you may only work 20 hours per week.

Practical Training If you are an F student, you have the option of working in the United States by engaging in practical training during your program or after it ends. Practical training can provide valuable work experience by sharpening and adding to the skills you are learning in school. There are two types of practical training available for F-1 students: curricular practical training (CPT) and optional practical training (OPT). CPT CPT must relate to your major and the experience must be part of your program of study. When you enroll at the graduate level, your designated school official (DSO) may authorize CPT during your first semester if your program requires this type of experience. Ask your DSO for details. Your DSO will provide you a new Form I-20, “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status,” that shows that the DSO has approved you for this employment. You can work on CPT either full-time or part-time. CPT requires a signed cooperative agreement or a letter from your employer. If you have 12 months or more of full-time CPT, you are ineligible for OPT, but part-time CPT is fine and will not stop you from doing OPT.
OPT OPT must relate to your major or course of study. You can apply for 12 months of OPT at each education level, (i.e., you may have 12 months of OPT at the bachelor’s level and another 12 months of OPT at the master’s level). Your DSO will provide you with a new Form I-20 that shows the DSO recommendation for this employment. You must apply for work authorization by electronically filing a Form I-765, “Application for Employment Authorization,” with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and paying a filing fee. USCIS will send you a Form I-766, “Employment Authorization Document,” (EAD) upon approving your Form I-765. Wait to start work until after you receive your EAD. While school is in session, you may only work 20 hours per week.

Hours an F-1 student may work for off-campus employment
 Number of hours
While school is in session20 hours per week or fewer
During the F-1 student’s annual breakFull-time
When school is not in sessionFull-time (if the F-1 student plans to enroll full-time in the next session)

Exceptions of 20 hours limitations

Another name for emergent circumstances is special student relief. When a world event impacts a group of nonimmigrants, the Secretary of DHS (the Secretary) may publish a special notice in the Federal Register and grant special student relief. The notice will give details on who is in the group and the eligibility requirements. The Secretary can waive any restrictions on F-1 student employment.

What are the guidelines for off-campus employment of F-1 students based on severe economic hardship?

USCIS makes case-by-case decisions for off-campus employment for students who can show that new, unexpected circumstances beyond their control have created severe economic hardship. These may include the following:

  • Loss of financial aid or on-campus employment (if the student is not at fault)
  • Large increases in tuition or living costs
  • Substantial decrease in the relative value of currency the student depends upon to pay expenses
  • Unexpected changes in the financial conditions for a student's sources of financial support
  • Unexpectedly large medical bills not covered by insurance
  • Other substantial, unexpected expenses

An F-1 student must have remained enrolled for at least one academic year, in status and in good academic standing before USCIS will authorize off-campus employment.

The F-1 student must be unable to get on-campus employment, or the pay from available on-campus employment must be insufficient to meet financial needs.

For each request approval, you must provide the F-1 student with a Form I-20, "Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status," endorsed to that effect.

The F-1 student must file a Form I-765, "Application for Employment Authorization," and pay a fee to USCIS. The student should file within 30 days of the day you endorse the Form I-20. If USCIS approves the application, the student will receive a Form I-766, "Employment Authorization Document," (EAD) from USCIS and can begin working.

Approval for off-campus employment is good for one year. If the F-1 student needs to continue working off-campus, the student must re-apply

Posted on 07-03-15 6:28 AM     [Snapshot: 284]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

F1 boro,
EAD vayesi legally kaam garna paihalincha.....school le chai kasari tha paucha ra yesai pani kati ghanta hanyo vanera....... 20 ghanta vanda badi hanyo ki vandai khojdai hidne haina kyara....majja le kaam handeu boro..... aafu ta ead nahudai pani stora 70 ghanta haninthyo va vaye ta kati hanthey hola lololololol.

Posted on 07-03-15 7:50 AM     [Snapshot: 354]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

TPS is not for Students and students working on cpt, opt or H1,. you have to maintain student, h1, and opt status always since TPS does not let you change your status back to your previous status if you did not maintain it.

If you have only TPS status and if it is over, than you have to leave the country.

if students want to work outside with TPS EAD, and take full time class, please ask your International office before you work

H1 can not change the employer if you want to maintain H1 status, if does violates the H1 status

I am also a student, just sharing my knowledge reading sajha posts

I am not filling it.........
Last edited: 03-Jul-15 07:53 AM

Posted on 07-06-15 2:01 PM     [Snapshot: 780]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     1       ?     Liked by

Sathi Ho,

Maile aja Brooklyn College ra Laguardia Community College ko DSO ra registrars office sanga kura garetko thiye: These are the information they mentioned:

1. TPS EAD bhayeko F1 student le full time course load liyo bhane full time kaam garna paucha re. (Both DSO from Laguardia ra Brookyln College l confirm garyo, Columbia University le pani confrim garyo).

2. Brooklyn college ra laguardia community college le chai TPS bhayera 1 year New York ma baseko manche lai in state pani dincha re( sabai CUNY(New York City ko college haru ko tei ho re).

3. In state pauna lai apply garnu parcha ani tesko lagi either TPS approve bhayeko hunu parcha or receipt payeko hunu parcha). Apply gareko receipt dekhayera 1 year residency prove garna sakyo bhane in state paucha re).

I think this is a really good new. Sab jana le afno afno college tira pani bujhnu.

Posted on 07-06-15 8:19 PM     [Snapshot: 1043]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     1       ?     Liked by

good job Nepali keto, now ask Universityof Michigan, Universityof Florida, University of Colorado, Michigan state university tomorrow hai?
Posted on 09-03-15 12:16 PM     [Snapshot: 1739]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

Nepaliketo123 -- how can we contact you? I go to a CUNY school as well, I had few questions regarding TPS. Looks like you've already contacted DSOs.
Posted on 09-03-15 12:20 PM     [Snapshot: 1748]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    
Posted on 09-03-15 12:47 PM     [Snapshot: 1766]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

There's a common confusion that TPS EAD allows F-1 student to work off campus and/or more than 20 hours/week. It doesn't. Even though you are approved for TPS EAD, all rules and regulations of F-1 visa still apply. If you don't follow them, you might lose your F-1 status. Except CPT and OPT, the only way F-1 students can work off campus and/or more than 20 hours/week without violating their status is by getting permission from USCIS under economic hardship.

You can certainly seek off-campus employment using TPS EAD, and employers might hire you but if your DSO finds out, they'll most likely terminate your F-1 which means, if you want to go back to F-1, you're talking about travelling outside US and applying for a brand new F-1, just like you did the first time.

Please Log in! to be able to reply! If you don't have a login, please register here.



Within last 30 days
Recommended Popular Threads Controvertial Threads
TPS Re-registration case still pending ..
TPS EAD auto extended to June 2025 or just TPS?
Anybody gotten the TPS EAD extension alert notice (i797) thing? online or via post?
Biden said he will issue new Employment visa for someone with college degree and job offers
whats wrong living with your parents ?
Now Trump is a convicted criminal .
Does the 180 day auto extension apply for TPS?
Facts showing how US is worse than Russia
TPS advance parole Travel document i-131, Class of Admission ?
Ajay Kumar Dev sentenced to 378 yrs
Nepali Passport Renewal
NOTE: The opinions here represent the opinions of the individual posters, and not of Sajha.com. It is not possible for sajha.com to monitor all the postings, since sajha.com merely seeks to provide a cyber location for discussing ideas and concerns related to Nepal and the Nepalis. Please send an email to admin@sajha.com using a valid email address if you want any posting to be considered for deletion. Your request will be handled on a one to one basis. Sajha.com is a service please don't abuse it. - Thanks.

Sajha.com Privacy Policy

Like us in Facebook!

↑ Back to Top
free counters