Urgent H1B to F1 status change

Archived from the original Sajha.com — preserved as posted, replies can no longer be added here.
Start a New Discussion
Archived Post

Normal 0 false false false EN-US ZH-CN AR-SA /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:SimSun; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:Arial; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} Hi, Could someone answer below questions? #1 is most urgent. 1. I am in H1B status and I want to convert to F1 status. I did my Bachelors from US now I want to do my Masters. I have a H1B visa stamped on my passport with I-94 expiring on 2013. My class starts from Fall 2011 (early September) so I have few months time. If I apply for COS now (April), can I stay in US till my class starts? 2. When my status will be pending, can I still work on my current job with H1B status or do I need to leave my job. 3. If my F1 status gets denied, and I get a 30 days leave notice, and if I find another employer within that time frame who will file H1B visa, can I start a new job? 4. If my F1 status gets denied (with 30 days leave notice), can I continue working on my current job on current H1B status? Or once F1 status gets denied, my H1 gets automatically canceled too? 5. While my F1 application will be pending, if I later decide to continue with my current job with current H1B visa, can I cancel the COS to F1? 6. What happens if I get layoff from my current job while my COS to F1 is pending? In my case, my class starts from early September; I apply for COS status in mid April and I get layoff on early May. What will be my status? Can I stay in US at that time frame? If someone also know any lawyer please let me know. Thank you.

ritasharma · Apr 14, 2011 11:53 AM · 14,248 views

4 Replies

IMO, joining masters on h1b will be best soln. No COS, instate tuition fee and no need to be a full time student.

bange · Apr 14, 2011 12:11 PM

Maam, let us know what exactly you are looking for then some body can give you the proper soultion. By looking at your post I assume that you are in H1b (started on last Oct) and there is a buzz in ur office abt possible layoff and you want to make some plan for your future ?? What do want to do ? Do u wan to study, Study and work at same time or u were in the situation which i assume in previous para. If u already have I20 then contact the school international advisor who will help you for applying for COS If u want to make some plan B for your possible layoff, then there may be several ways to to that to.

khoikkhoik · Apr 14, 2011 12:43 PM

Thanks guys! All I wanan know is if I get layoff and I my COS also gets denied and I get few days change notice (may be 30 days), at that time frame if I find a new job (employer ready to file H1B) can I get back to new H1B from US? Or can I go to Canada/Mexico for F1 visa after my COS gets denied? Does USCIS ask for bank transactions or just bank letter while filing for COS to F1? Thank you.

ritasharma · Apr 17, 2011 12:11 PM

Last edited: 05-May-11 07:14 AM

nishant1 · Apr 18, 2011 8:44 AM

This conversation is preserved exactly as it was on the original Sajha.com and can't accept new replies.

Start a New Discussion

You might be interested in...

Recent Classifieds View all
Upcoming Events View all
Service Providers View all