Help Plz...

Archived from the original Sajha.com — preserved as posted, replies can no longer be added here.
Start a New Discussion
Archived Post

Hi folks,   Here is a situation. I really need suggestion as one of my friend is caught up in between. She applied to univ "A" through consultancy. She was still waiting for decision from one univ "B" in california while she applied visa from univ "A". But the consultancy asked her to make draft in name of Univ "A". They asked they need to scan the draft but instead mailed it through DHL. Maybe they had commission. Now she just landed in US and in univ "A". Now she wants to transfer to Univ "B" and Univ "A" says we do allow transfer in first sem itself but you won't get your draft or money or any kind of refund. They are not even talking about partial refund. She hasnot registered for any classes and classes will begin next week. Has anyone been in this situation. The draft is for $5000 and can't let go coz she won't be left with much money. When asked about deposit, the univ says it is security deposit and you don't get it back. All suggestions are welcome.

vasudev · Jan 7, 2013 12:49 PM · 3,354 views

8 Replies

simple, study a semester or two at "A" and then transfer to "B". If she absolutely did not want to go to "A" (which seems to be the case), she should not have applied to it in the first place.

jantare1 · Jan 7, 2013 1:10 PM

 I know it was not a good idea Jantare1. But i find it strange, Univ that does allow transfer but not give back draft or refund.

vasudev · Jan 7, 2013 1:15 PM

There are lot of things that your friend could have done differently but there is no point in talking about them now. The best option I would recommend is to stay at "A" for 2 semesters and take all the courses that can transferred at "B'. So advice her to check with "B" and see what courses are required for her intended major. Remember, If everything happens the same way we want them to be, the enthusiasm of living life will fade away.

busenitz · Jan 7, 2013 1:27 PM

 Same Case happened to a lot of people I know in one of the university in Oklahoma Vasu ji. All they could do was study in the university for 2 sem and then transfer after a year. These people couldnot even transfer to any of the community colleged affiliated to that same University.  As Jantare suggested, study couple of sem in A and transfer to B . Loss of time vs money , i guess. 

ThahaChaena · Jan 7, 2013 1:27 PM

 Well she doesnot intend to study in the first university and want to transfer to the 2nd. My question was " is it legally possible to hold on the bank draft even though she never registered for any classes or anything?". They do allow transfer without any other hassle. Thank you all for the suggestion and keep them coming. Last edited: 07-Jan-13 01:39 PM

vasudev · Jan 7, 2013 1:38 PM

That dont sound right. Ask them where is that policy stated.they should not be charging anything besides the admission and processing if any. They should hqve it clearly stated on their policy handout.

pshrestha78 · Jan 7, 2013 3:42 PM

Like pshrestha said, ask for the written policy. If they didn't/haven't clearly stated it in written, they shouldn't be charging her. +1 to what busnetiz said, that's probably the best thing to do. I'm not picking on your friend but many of us (Nepalese students, i don't know about others) seem to be quite careless or maybe even plain stupid on things relevant to maintaining student status and/or building a career . The main problem as I see is people don't plan ahead. Sometimes unexpected things happen which might disrupt your education/work, but simple things like picking a college, deciding a major, looking for CPTs/OPTs, etc are a few of the things you will be doing at some point. So, why not do yourself a favor and plan a little ahead instead of freaking out in sajha "I'm graduating in a week, I need a job or an OPT! HELP!!"? Again, not trying to be mean to anyone, just a friendly advice.

jantare1 · Jan 7, 2013 4:26 PM

 It is easier said than done. Consultancy in Nepal do get commission from universities so, they make you beleive that if you don't pay right away your visa may be denied. You do exactly what they say and  sometimes it will put you in such undesirable situation. I am not sure if they can legally hold bank draft, but they might refund you rest of the money. My wife had similar situation about transfering college in 2nd Sem, so we paid partially to the first university, two weeks after the registration she got approval from second college then the first university refunded rest of the money. It might not be applicable to all the universities but there is no harm in trying. Try talking with diffrent personnel within the college diffrent people have different approach to the same situation. My suggestion do not rely on only one person.  Good Luck

adventurer · Jan 8, 2013 10:39 AM

This conversation is preserved exactly as it was on the original Sajha.com and can't accept new replies.

Start a New Discussion

You might be interested in...

Recent Classifieds View all
Upcoming Events View all
Service Providers View all