[Show all top banners]

Replies to this thread:

More by Sajh_member
What people are reading
:: Subscribe
Back to: Immigration Refresh page to view new replies
 Can F-1 student on TPS take less credit and maintain the status
SAVE! for ease of future access.
Posted on 05-08-17 12:38 PM     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?        

Hi guys,

I want to take less units this semester. I have TPS and I am a student but can I take less units and maintain my status? Please let me know
Posted on 05-08-17 1:55 PM     [Snapshot: 50]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     1       ?         Liked by

I think you would lose your F1 status if you did that. In case TPS were to end next year, you would not be able to go back to F1 because you failed to maintain the minimum credits requirement for F1 status.

You might hear people saying you already lost your F1 because you went on TPS. That would be incorrect, you don't lose your existing immigration status as long as you do what's required to maintain it. You can be on F1 and TPS at the same time. Similarly with H1B, you can be on both status as long as you are NOT using TPS EAD. Just possessing TPS status is allowed along with your existing status. Only if you proceed to use TPS status (use TPS EAD, take fewer credits) will you lose your current status (F1, H1B).

Please consult with a lawyer as well since I'm not one. Just sharing my thoughts from what I understand.
Posted on 05-08-17 9:48 PM     [Snapshot: 158]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?        

Nope..No..Never...Not!! TPS does not help in this matter. YOU NEED TO MAINTAIN YOUR F1 STATUS.This is coming from a lawyer!
Posted on 05-08-17 9:56 PM     [Snapshot: 161]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?        

thanks for the suggestions. Can I use TPS EAD just to work and maintain my status being a full time student?
Posted on 05-10-17 1:12 PM     [Snapshot: 290]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     2       ?         Liked by

Yes you can take less than full time course load to maintain the F1 status while you are in TPS. by using TPS EAD you can also work full time and get instate tuitions (depends on state and school). you can find all the information on the USCIS website and federal notice.

here is the link to help you out.

I would suggest to complete your college while you are in TPS to save some $$(if you get instate)
Posted on 05-13-17 11:03 AM     [Snapshot: 440]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?        

@ captainB , thank for the link. I heard if a TPS f-1 student wants in-state then he/she will lose the f-1 status. My adviser said she doesn't suggest me to use TPS for that. Do you know the states which allow in-state and f-1 status doesn't have to be compromised? And any university to get admission easy and fast?

Posted on 05-13-17 2:19 PM     [Snapshot: 498]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?        

Yes you can. You should apply for "Reduced Course Load" to DSO. May be it depends upon the school too. Contact your school.
Posted on 05-13-17 9:19 PM     [Snapshot: 559]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?        

It does not matter what you heard. The only thing that matter is the fact that is stated on federal notice released by DHS. It is clearly mentioned in the title that it is for F1 student from Nepal. Do not just scan the documents, read throughly and you will have the clear understanding of the privilege provided. 

Here is the piece of information from federal notice.  

Below is the exact copy paste from the federal notice
Why is DHS taking this action?
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) took action to provide temporary relief to F-1 nonimmigrant students whose country of citizenship is Nepal and experienced severe economic hardship as a direct result of the earthquake in Nepal in April 2015. See 80 FR 69237. It enabled these F-1 students to obtain employment authorization, work an increased number of hours while school was in session, and reduce their course load while continuing to maintain their F-1 student status.

What is the minimum course load requirement set forth in this notice?

Undergraduate students who receive on-campus or off-campus employment authorization under this notice must remain registered for a minimum of six credit hours of instruction per academic semester.[1] A graduate-level F-1 student who receives on-campus or off-campus employment authorization under this notice must remain registered for a minimum of three credit hours of instruction per academic semester. See 8 CFR 214.2(f)(5)(v).

Show this to your school official they will help you out.

you can transfer to any of the Texas university or community college whatever your situation is. rest about compromising your F1 , please read above.
Last edited: 13-May-17 09:25 PM

Posted on 05-13-17 10:50 PM     [Snapshot: 592]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?        


 TPS-related employment authorization, by itself, does not authorize a student to drop below 12 credit hours. 

Once approved for “severe economic hardship” employment authorization, the student may drop below 12 credit hours (with a minimum of six credit hours of instruction per academic semester if the student is at the undergraduate level, or for a minimum of three credit hours of instruction per academic semester if the student is at the graduate level). See 8 CFR 214.2(f)(6), 214.2(f)(5)(v), 214.2(f)(9)(i) and (ii).

Good luck!!

Posted on 05-14-17 3:25 PM     [Snapshot: 687]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?        

thanks everyone for all the info....

Please Log in! to be able to reply! If you don't have a login, please register here.



Within last 30 days
Recommended Popular Threads Controvertial Threads
What stocks to buy -- Any recommendation
I m offered a Job in Bank in Nepal, should i go back ?
Hpw to bring huge sum of money from Nepal to US
माछा स्वाद
Dr. Fauci न टोक्नु न बोक्नु भएको छ ट्रुम्पलाई
यसरी मेरो कुमारत्व गुमेको थियो
साम्राज्ञीले दुर्ब्यबहार भयो, भन्दा भुवन केसिलाइ किन रिस उठ्यो ??
TPS to green card
loose हुन्छ रे हो ?
निक्कै खुकुलो भयो त !!
tesla stock OMG !!
सोनीकाले त बेज्जत गरिन त ( viewers discretion)
नेपाल को केटी कि अमेरिका को केटी बिहेको लागि
दीपाश्री निरौला चरम depression मा।
अन्डरवेयर को मृत्‍यु भएको दिन
RFE on I485 for Evidence fo lawful admission.
Extending Parents Visitor Visa Twice due to Pandemic
अमेरीकामा यसरी, शेयर भन्दै ठग्न पनि पाइन्छ?
Is it possible to file Green Card without H1b if the company is willing to do that?
NOTE: The opinions here represent the opinions of the individual posters, and not of Sajha.com. It is not possible for sajha.com to monitor all the postings, since sajha.com merely seeks to provide a cyber location for discussing ideas and concerns related to Nepal and the Nepalis. Please send an email to admin@sajha.com using a valid email address if you want any posting to be considered for deletion. Your request will be handled on a one to one basis. Sajha.com is a service please don't abuse it. - Thanks.

Sajha.com Privacy Policy

Like us in Facebook!

↑ Back to Top
free counters