[Show all top banners]

Replies to this thread:

More by Sansarikmoha
What people are reading
:: Subscribe
Back to: Kurakani General Discussion Refresh page to view new replies
 Getting married in Nepal with US citizenship
SAVE! for ease of future access.
Posted on 05-02-16 10:07 AM     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?        


Please provide serious suggestions. I have a close friend who holds a US citizenship(he was a Nepalese citizen before). He wants to go back to Nepal and get married there. Eventually, he plans to bring his wife to the US. What would be the process to get marriage certificate in Nepal for his case?
Posted on 05-02-16 10:23 AM     [Snapshot: 48]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?        

Does your friend know about Sajha.com?
Posted on 05-02-16 12:48 PM     [Snapshot: 193]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?        

Any suggestions?
Posted on 05-02-16 2:17 PM     [Snapshot: 266]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?        

He'll marry her and then go to the woda office or municipal office of her wife's residence to get the marriage certificate.
Posted on 05-02-16 2:29 PM     [Snapshot: 278]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?        

As a US citizen, you need to get no objection letter from US Embassay to get marriage certificate from CDO office. One of my friend did not obtain the certificate before getting married and the CDO office gave him hard time to provide with marriage certificate. See more from the Embassay website:

For a marriage in Nepal to be legally-binding, the couple (even if a U.S. citizen) must meet the Government of Nepal's requirements. The authorities responsible for registering marriages involving foreigners are the Chief District Administrative Office for each district, popularly known as "CDO office." In Kathmandu, the CDO office is located in Babar Mahal.

Nepal requires U.S. citizens marrying in Nepal to have an Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry, notarized by a U.S. Embassy Consular Officer and available at the Embassy. This is not a requirement of the United States. There is a USD $50 fee associated with this notarial service, payable in U.S. Dollars or the equivalent in Nepalese rupees. This notarial service can be completed on Monday from 9:00-11:30 am or Friday from 1:30-3:45 pm at the Consular Section at the U.S. Embassy on Maharajgunj, Kathmandu. It is necessary to schedule an online appointment for this service. A copy of the Nepali citizen's passport or citizenship card is required.

Registering your marriage at the CDO

To apply for a Government of Nepal-issued marriage certificate, you must submit the Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry with other required papers at the CDO office. The CDO also requires evidence of your nationality (U.S. passport), photographs, and a nominal processing fee. After you apply, the CDO will check your legal status in Nepal with various government offices. This process may take some weeks. After the CDO processes your application, they will issue a marriage certificate, which is usually written in both Nepali and English.

Posted on 05-02-16 5:09 PM     [Snapshot: 424]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?        

Thank you nepalijeevan and ny2 for the response
Posted on 05-03-16 7:04 AM     [Snapshot: 713]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?        

Apply for fiance visa and get married here.
Posted on 05-03-16 10:53 AM     [Snapshot: 806]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?        

कुनै बेला मेरो धागोमा कुनैले लेखेको थियो |
सुहाग रातको बेला पनि ढाल लगाउछ कसैले |

नेपालि माचो पना ढाल नालागाउनु मा हुन्छ भलै पहिलो रातमै गर्भबती किन नहुन नबदुलहि |

I do not see any problem to a Citizens with a job. it may take 6-7 month process.

Please Log in! to be able to reply! If you don't have a login, please register here.



Within last 7 days
Recommended Popular Threads Controvertial Threads
🚨🚨🚨 नाज'स् वर्ल्ड 🚨🚨🚨
What stocks to buy -- Any recommendation
ॐ श्री स्वस्थानी ब्रत कथा
Conservative discussions
Ushering in new era of communism ...
The Great Himalayan Cable Car
मनोज गजुरेल कि कृष्ण बहादुर महरा ?
हरे... छिमेकि / सहपाठि नै राक्षस ..
Happy Valentine's day Song for all the lonely people
Vintage Pictures of Kathmandu
Killing Terraces | Nepalese Hip Hop
प्रचाण्डको लड्डु
Do you require sponsorship now or in the future? For TPS EAD Holders
Tomato Achar 4 ways- Please SUBSCRIBE to reeyaskitchen
when will US embassy in Nepal resume visa service?
Modern day भिष्म पितामह?
Motels Jobs. Has anybody worked in a motel before?
GC Holder planning to join college
NOTE: The opinions here represent the opinions of the individual posters, and not of Sajha.com. It is not possible for sajha.com to monitor all the postings, since sajha.com merely seeks to provide a cyber location for discussing ideas and concerns related to Nepal and the Nepalis. Please send an email to admin@sajha.com using a valid email address if you want any posting to be considered for deletion. Your request will be handled on a one to one basis. Sajha.com is a service please don't abuse it. - Thanks.

Sajha.com Privacy Policy

Like us in Facebook!

↑ Back to Top
free counters