[Show all top banners]

Replies to this thread:

More by shrutikarki
What people are reading
:: Subscribe
Back to: Career/College Refresh page to view new replies
 academic probation, want to work and maintain legal status
SAVE! for ease of future access.
Posted on 01-01-13 4:56 PM     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?        


I just completed my first semester of graduate school from a university in California. I was promised funding if I could maintain 3.0 GPA in the first semester. Since I was not able to maintain 3.0, I have been put on academic probation and my college will not give me funding. Since the college is very expensive, I can't afford to stay in this colege. What are the options available for me to be able to stay in US. Also, I had finished my undergrad from US university. Is there any way I could work here and maintain status? I cannot use my OPT because I just started grad school. 

Thank You,
Posted on 01-01-13 6:32 PM     [Snapshot: 103]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?        

 Thank you very much for your reply. Transferring to another college is one of my options. I am currently exploring my options. Is it possible to start working now?
Posted on 01-01-13 6:34 PM     [Snapshot: 93]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?        

 When i went to the grad school, the graduate office used to take the annual evaluation of the grad student to make sure if the assistantship should be continued or not. In our school, under 3.0 GPA in the first semester would give a warning and suggests what we need to do. That means, if we improve the GPA in the next semester and if the CGPA is above 3, then we would not be put on probation. Since this is your first semester, the school should not be so harsh on not providing the assistantship. THe best way to figure out the option would be to talk with you major advisor (if already assigned) or talk with the program assistant of the department for the possible action you can take. 
Posted on 01-05-13 11:39 AM     [Snapshot: 393]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?        


Thank you for your help guys.

@ bbmb, our college has a different policy.
I talked to the professors and found out there is no chance I am getting funding from them. That means I need to leave the college. I need to get my SEVIS transferred to another college by Feb 5 to maintain my status. So, I have only a month left to get a decision from other college. I can still go to other colleges for Summer (May session) but I need to have decision by Feb 5. Is there any ways I can maintain my legas status in this situation? I am afraid if any college will give me decision within a month. At this point, I am thinking of going to Masters in Computer science or MBA.

I have also heard GRE schools also provide I-20's to maintain status for 6 months? Anybody know anything about that.

@ Mad.., I will probably do that but I need to maintain my status in US after a month.

Posted on 01-05-13 2:23 PM     [Snapshot: 471]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?        

 You can join kaplan, they will give you a I20 for Gre or gmat. Make sure they have programs running though, you need to be enrolled in a IGMAT for international students.
Posted on 01-05-13 3:07 PM     [Snapshot: 495]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?        

Now this is tough situation. The school might be starting within couple of weeks and you have to get into it. So, you  might have list of very few schools which can take the admission within those days. Another things is you are going to grad school. admission to the grad school usually takes longtime (i think- i might be wrong too). so the best way is to find a school of any kind and ask them by telephone if they still consider graduate application due to bla bla condition. emailing and getting answer might take tiime- everyday counts for you. if not graduate school, you can try application to undergrad for major that might be related with you major.  for eg. u can apply for maths major if you have a degree in computer science. if you make it, you can drop it later before applying for real school in summer or fall.

i am not sure about the california, but when i was in new york, a couple of my friends went to a language center, take class(es), the center will make you a document that will work as a I-20 for the student. you might want to find if such things are found in your/nearby city.
Posted on 01-06-13 12:56 AM     [Snapshot: 654]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?        

I don't know much wheather Grad student can join this school or not. However, Some of my friends last year joined this school in New York while they were in undergrad to maintain their status.



Please Log in! to be able to reply! If you don't have a login, please register here.



Within last 365 days
Recommended Popular Threads Controvertial Threads
TRUMP 2016!!! Here is why?
Returning to Nepal
महानियिका प्रियंका कार्कीजीलाइ खुल्ला पत्र !
भाउजु आउनु भाकी छिन रे नि !
~चौतारी १९९~
तुरन्त सम्पर्क गर्नु होस् !
पिन्कुको नया काले हस्पि नाक चुचेय भाते भतुवा
Mnang, Mustang Treking and Our Engagement
Tired of nepali attitude
👭 👭 👭 👭 देसी भाभी 👭 👭 👭 👭
Indian Worker Attitude
Wedding Costs in Nepal ? Party, Band Baaja !!!!???
Learning computer programming
प्रियंका कार्की फोटो अबलम भाग २ , ३ जून २०१६ copyright @पुन्टर
वाह ! मन्त्री ज्यु वाह !
प्रियंका .का. लै चिठी भाग १
Four Characters and My Funeral
सेतो इन्द्रणी
"टी पी एस" अत्यन्त जरुरी
Don't apply Canada Immigration through COLIN R. SINGER
Former U.S. President Bill Clinton in Nepal
Build the Wall-MAGA
Finally tps extended (18 months) ( full statement)
Why you can't trust the vaccines 100%
~चौतारी १९९~
महानियिका प्रियंका कार्कीजीलाइ खुल्ला पत्र !
TRUMP 2016!!! Here is why?
NOTE: The opinions here represent the opinions of the individual posters, and not of Sajha.com. It is not possible for sajha.com to monitor all the postings, since sajha.com merely seeks to provide a cyber location for discussing ideas and concerns related to Nepal and the Nepalis. Please send an email to admin@sajha.com using a valid email address if you want any posting to be considered for deletion. Your request will be handled on a one to one basis. Sajha.com is a service please don't abuse it. - Thanks.

Sajha.com Privacy Policy

Like us in Facebook!

↑ Back to Top
free counters