Listen to everyone but make your own decision, it is what you will be living with for years to come. Here is my opinion if you are really seeking one:
1) Come to US!
2) Pick a state that has good public schools. For example: Virginia (I will tell you why later)
3) Work here for one year. Get any job but give preference to the jobs which require more interaction. Get to know the culture, American way of life, learn how to communicate efficiently. Don't be like the majority of Nepalese who live in the past eg: "It used to be so much fun in Nepal" , " I didn't use to do this in Nepal." etc etc and don't socialize only with Nepalese. I've seen people who can barely hold a conversation in English yet they have been here for 10 years.
4) Why work one year and not go school? They wouldn't immediately give you instate tuition because you need to show that you paid taxes last year to get instate tuition.
5) Pick a college and then start your transfer credit evaluation. I am not sure how that will work but ask your school official.
6) Why I told you to be careful while you choose your state? You want to be in a state which has good reputed public institution. Private colleges are expensive.
7) I predict more than half of your credit will be transferred so all in all it will take you 3 years at max to get your bachelors degree.
8) Don't be like more then half of the Nepalese who just go to college and work long hours and don't do anything about their professional development and complain how life sucks in America every night drinking beer with their buddies.
9) Professional development? Get involved with other activities related to your career. Get an internship, join engineering club, take leadership in projects etc etc
To summarize, I would say you will sacrifice and won't like it for the next 3 - 5 years if you decide to come but trust me good things come to people who wait, struggle and work hard.
Don't let the economy and odds get to you. I don't know you in person but if you are determined and have strong work ethics you will prevail.
I wish you all the best.
Last edited: 24-Jul-10 01:45 PM